History of URCA

ecusson.jpg

Although it has old roots, the University of Reims Champagne-Ardenne, with its new organisation, has existed for less than thirty years.
The University of Reims was created in 1548, thanks to the Cardinal de Lorraine who made the papacy turn it into one of the main cathedral schools in Europe in the Middle Ages. It was closed down in 1793 during the French Revolution and disappeared almost completely for a century, until it came back in the sixties.

The Science Faculty (1961), the University Literary College (1964), the Law and Economics Faculty (1966), Reims Institute of Technology (1966), Medical and Pharmacy mixed Faculty (1967), the National School of Dental Surgery (1970) are the successive elements that have composed the University of Reims since 1971.

The creation of a University Institute of Technology in Troyes (1973), a Superior Technical Training Institute (1985) and a University Institute of Technology in Charleville-Mézières (1995), the development in Troyes of a second unit of Law, Economics and Literature Faculties of Reims (1991) and the opening of a University Institute of Technology in Châlons-en-Champagne (1993) have now asserted the regional roots of a university that became in 1982 the University of Reims Champagne-Ardenne.

1547

On July 26th, the day Henry II is crowned in his cathedral, Reims' archbishop, Charles de Lorraine shares with the King his wish to create a university in Reims and is encouraged to pursue the project.

1548

January: Bull from the Pope Paul III founding the University of Reims
March: The letters of patent (act by which the King establishes an authority) of King Henry III authorises the opening of the University of Reims.

1549

On January 29th, the Letters of patents are registered with a decision from the Parliament.

1550

On June 26th: Publication of the bull, Letters of patent and judgement on the sound of horns, in streets and squares of the city, announcing the opening of the University.

On October 9th: Opening of the Faculty of Arts. Originally, our current secondary schools were part of University.
The University is located in the old Collège des Bons-Enfants, Rue Saint-Antoine, which becomes the rue de l'Université.

1609

Integration of the Collège des Jésuites in Reims into the University.

1793

The University is shut down with a National Convention decree.

1808

A Medicine and Pharmacy School and a Literature Faculty (then shut down in 1815) were created.

1956/1957

Creation in Reims of the “Science Superior School”, located next to the Medicine and Pharmacy School, attached to Paris.

1958

Establishment of a “University Centre”, linked to the University of Nancy (hence dependant upon the latter).

1959

Creation of the Science Faculty in Reims (actual opening in 1961).

1961

Creation of the Academy of Reims.

1963

The Science Faculty is located on the campus of Moulin de la Housse. Creation of a “Literature superior Studies centre”.

1964

The Studies Centre becomes a “University Literary College” (attached to the Literature Faculty of Nancy).

1966

Creation of the “Law and Economics University College”.
Creation of the University Institute of Technology in Reims.
The Medicine and Pharmacy School becomes the “Medicine and Pharmacy mixed Faculty".

1967

On the 1st of January, the University of Reims, under the authority of the Director of Education of the Academy, was officially created.

1968

Creation of the “Law and Economics Faculty”.
Creation of the Literature and Social Sciences Faculty.
Law of November 12th, creating the “public establishments with scientific and cultural focus”. Faculties lost their autonomy in favour of the University. A President at the head is elected. The Director of Education becomes the Director of the University.
Creation of the University Institute of Technology in Reims-Troyes.

1969

Pursuant to the 1968 law, the faculties become "UERs" (Units of Teaching and Research).

1970

The “Dental Surgery National School" is created in Reims and transformed into the Odontology UER the same year.
Creation of the Croix-Rouge Campus.

1971

The mixed Medicine and Pharmacy Faculty split into one Medicine UER and one Pharmacy UER.
The first President of University is elected.

1973

Troyes’ University Institute of Technology becomes an independent University Institute of Technology.

1982

The University of Reims changes its name and becomes the “University of Reims Champagne-Ardenne” to illustrate its regional roots.

1984

26th of January law on Higher Education (“Savary” law). The “UERs” become “UFRs” (Units for Training and Research).

1985

The Law and Economics UER splits into one Law and Politics UFR and one Economics and Management UFR.

1986

The Savary law is enforced.
The University statutes undergo transformation;
Creation of the Institute of Higher Technical Training (IFTS) in Charleville-Mézières.

1989

Creation of the Packaging and Conditioning Engineering School (ESIEC).

1990

Creation of Troyes University Unit, linked to the Literature, Law and Economics UFRs from Reims.

1994

Creation of the first department of the University Institute of Technology in Reims in Châlons-sur-Marne.

1995

Creation of a department of the University Institute of Technology in Reims in Charleville-Mézières.

1996

Creation of the Institute of Preparation for General Administration of Reims.

1998

Creation of the Science and Techniques of Physical and Sport Activities UFR.

1999

Celebration of the 450th anniversary of the University.