Although it has old roots, the University of Reims Champagne-Ardenne, with its new organisation, has existed for less than thirty years.
The University of Reims was created in 1548, thanks to the Cardinal de Lorraine who made the papacy turn it into one of the main cathedral schools in Europe in the Middle Ages. It was closed down in 1793 during the French Revolution and disappeared almost completely for a century, until it came back in the sixties.
The Science Faculty (1961), the University Literary College (1964), the Law and Economics Faculty (1966), Reims Institute of Technology (1966), Medical and Pharmacy mixed Faculty (1967), the National School of Dental Surgery (1970) are the successive elements that have composed the University of Reims since 1971.
The creation of a University Institute of Technology in Troyes (1973), a Superior Technical Training Institute (1985) and a University Institute of Technology in Charleville-Mézières (1995), the development in Troyes of a second unit of Law, Economics and Literature Faculties of Reims (1991) and the opening of a University Institute of Technology in Châlons-en-Champagne (1993) have now asserted the regional roots of a university that became in 1982 the University of Reims Champagne-Ardenne.